The Ocean & The Sky - by Big Buddy
Posted October 1, 2020
I'm not sure why I can write a blog. Frankly, I'm not sure why I'm still alive and walking around. It's good to be alive. And thanks for reading my blog!
Most of the time I'm asleep at the Southport cabin. Liana put a nice pee-pee-proof bed on the couch for me because sometimes I pee by mistake. My bed on the couch looks over the ocean and the sky. I know it's the ocean because I can smell it. The sky is always over the ocean. I remember that from when I could see. Don and Liana leave the screen door open so I can go outside to pee and poop. Most of the time I make it.
Sometimes people come to the cabin in the middle of the day and look for Don and Liana. The people shout outside the screen door for a while. Then they come in and give me a head rub. Those head rubs are very nice, but sometimes I am fast asleep when they do it and I wake up and I don't know a nice person is rubbing my head. One time I pooped when somebody woke me up because I was asleep and I was scared. It was OK because the pee-pee-proof bed is also poo-poo proof. But I had to sleep on the floor until Liana got home so I didn't get poop on me.
Sometimes Don and Liana don't come back to the cabin until it's very dark and I get very scared that they Abandoned me again. Don and Liana never really abandoned me. It only seemed like they abandoned me and left me in the cabin to die. I was asleep under a table, but they came back for me. They still love me.
I know they love me because Don built me a ramp so I could pee and poop outside a lot easier. Liana got me that pee-pee-proof bed that fits on the couch for when I can't get outside in time. That's the bed on the couch that looks over the ocean and the sky.
I was nine years-old when Don and Liana got me. I met a lot of good dogs and people since then. I made a lot of friends. I also stopped itching and scratching myself until I bled because Don and Liana gave me good food and treats. Can you believe I was able to go on walkies for hours with Max, Auggie, and Coal when I was younger? It's true. It was so much fun!
But I can't go on walkies like that anymore. Sometimes Don brings me to the beach and we Pretend Swim up and down the beach. Some days Don brings me to the shop and I get to meet a lot of dogs and people like the old days. I really like that. Sometimes it's hard being at the shop because I can't see or hear much, but I can still smell everything. Sometimes people laugh when I bonk my head into the wall at the shop. I can tell they're laughing even though I can't hear them.
It's OK if they laugh. I don't get mad. I thought it was pretty funny when other old dogs bonked their heads into walls. Why would I get mad? If I got mad at people for laughing at me when I bonked my head against a wall, I would be mad at a lot of people and I wouldn't have any friends at all. It's just because I'm old and I can't see. It's something that just happens. Like when you go into the ocean, you get wet. When you get born, you get old. And when you get old, you do funny things like bonk your head into walls because you can't see anymore.
I am so old and so achy now. I can hardly move at all. I am so tired all the time. I sleep most of the day. And I worry about things. Old dogs worry about a lot of things.
I worry about things like what will happen when Don and Liana close the Southport cabin for the winter. I can't get up the stairs at the Barrel House anymore. And I don't think Don can build a dog ramp to the second floor of the Barrel House. If he could, I'm sure he would. Don is my best friend. And what happens if I'm in the Barrel House and I have to pee? I hope the weather stays warm in Southport forever!
When we leave the Southport cabin this fall I will probably end up back on the couch in Pownal. It's OK, but nobody comes over in the middle of the day. And the Pownal couch doesn't look over the ocean or sky. It looks over the dining room. It's a nice dining room, but it doesn't smell or look great. Definitely not as good as the ocean.
I've had a good life since I came to Don and Liana's house. I get fed good food twice a day and I get treats most days. On Sunday mornings we play "High Fives" in the big bed. I love Max and Auggie and Coal and Teddy and Don and Liana. I don't know how I ended up at this house, but I am a lucky dog.
I don't know why I can't walk very good anymore. I don't know why I pee and poop in the bed. I don't know where this is all going to end.
And I'm definitely not sure why I can write a blog.
But I know only one thing; Don and Liana love me. Wherever we go when the cabin is closed, I'm sure Don and Liana will take me. And they will give me good food. And they will make sure I can poop and pee outside. And they will take care of me when I get sick.
Don and Liana took care of Coal when he got sick. And when Coal got so sick he couldn't be with us anymore, Don and Liana let Coal rest in Horn Cove Beach with the Ocean and the Sky.
Thanks for reading this far!
Max & Aug's Posts
- Day of the Dogs - Volume I - by Max
- The Ocean & The Sky - by Big Buddy
- Zuckerstruck - by Auggie
- The Yarkowling - by Teddy Spaghetti
- Hair of the 5 Dogs That Bit Me - by Don
- Don Sure Is Getting Old and Fat - by Max
- A Little Kelp and My Friends - by Buddy
- Vetting the Vets - by Auggie
- Everything Is Stupid - by Teddy
- Small Head Ted - by Don
- Driving Miss Donny Insane - by Max
- Pee Pee Blues - by Buddy
- Odyssey - by Auggie
- Pup Fiction - by Don
- Gail's House - by Max
- Painful Things - by Big Buddy
- J'Accuse - by Auggie
- Insane Pownal Coyote Posse - by Don
- Teddy Ballgame - by Max
- Man's Best Friend - by Big Buddy
- Ask Augustus - by Auggie
- The Family Budster - by Don
- Chess King on the Hot Dog Boat - by Max
- Abandoned - by Big Buddy
- SEALs at the Gates of Don - by Auggie
- Let Loose the Dogs of War - by Don
- Bad Days to Be a Black Hot Dog - by Max
- Two Poops Galoot - by Big Buddy
- The Mongrel Scour 2018 - by Auggie
- Love Letters to the Edge - by Don
- The Peculiar Rules of People - by Max
- Buddy On The Move - By Big Buddy
- Separation Angst - by Auggie
- Salty to the Bone - Auggie - The Salad Days - by Don
- Christmas Presence - by Max
- How to Get Don Up for Breakfast - by Big Buddy
- A Spike in Kamikaze Attacks - by Auggie
- Salty to the Bone - Max: Volume III - by Don
- Land of the Free and Home of the Dog - by Max
- Big Dumb People - by Big Buddy Dog
- Poop Rules - by Auggie
- Salty to the Bone - Max: Volume II - by Don
- A From-Away Rube to a Boothbay Region Ruby - by Auggie
- The Greatest Day -- by Max
- Happy Things and Sad Things - By Buddy
- Salty to the Bone - Max: Volume I - by Don
- 2016 Sucked -- by Auggie
- Daylight Enslaving Time -- by Max
- Beastie Creatures -- by Big Buddy
- 9 Questions not to ask Don or Dog -- by Auggie
- How To Get More Food If You Love Food - by Max
- Coal - by Don
- Hardly Working Dogs - by Buddy
- 17 Messes in May - by Coal
- Supreme Fetch Dog Throughout All The Land -- by Auggie
- Buddy Power! - By Buddy
- Always a Head-Rub for a Good Dog - By Max
- Pucker Up, Dead Noses - by Auggie
- Fat Dog Food No More - by Coal
- Keys to the Kitchen of my Heart - by Buddy
- Rotten Apples but Good Boys -- By Max
- Fashion Shows and Mashed Potatoes -- By Auggie
- The Acorn and the Anvil -- by Coal
- Buddy the Extraordinary Gentledog -- By Buddy
- Scraps, Scrubs, Berries & Buddies -- By Max
- Blitzkrieg Birthday Manifesto -- By Auggie
- The Breakfasts and The Dogmanity -- By Coal
- High-Fivin' The Night Away -- by Buddy
- Fare Thee Well, Winter -- by Max
- Wonder Not, Gentle Suburbanite -- By Auggie
- The BIG ONE -- by Max
- Coal in Your Stocking -- By Coal
- Auggie's Reign Deer of Terror -- by Auggie
- Three Men Night -- by Max
- The Buddy of My Buddy is Coal's Friend -- By Coal
- Break Away From Being "From Away" Volume I -- By Auggie
- Jeepers Creepers-- Leaf Peepers! -- By Max
- Fall Down, Clean-Up -- By Auggie
- Berry Friendly -- By Max
- Coal's Birthday - By Coal
- Mutt Scrub 2014- - By Auggie
- Max's Birthday / New Website! - By Max
- Coal’s Zombie Class 2013 - By Coal
- HarborFest 2013 - By Max
- Boothbay Harbor Mutt Scrub 2013 - By Auggie
- Max's Birthday 2013 - By Max
- Fisherman's Festival 2013 - By Auggie
- Boothbay Region Land Trust Trails - By Coal
- Walk for the Animals 2013 - By Max
- I am Coal. Hear Me Bark! - By Coal
- Deb's Used Tennis Balls - By Auggie
- Max Loves Food - By Max
- It's Not a K9 Crooked House, It's a K9 Crooked Home - By Max & Auggie