Abandoned - by Big Buddy
Posted December 1, 2018
Hi there, Iím Big Buddy. This month is my turn to write the blog. I hope I donít let you all down!
I got very scared in November because I was abandoned by Don and Liana. I get left alone a lot but this time I was abandoned at the cabin. It was very, very sad and I am still very sad and scared. I donít know why they were mad at me. They could have just asked me to go away forever and I would leave. I have lots of friends. Especially at the shop. They LOVE me there. People at the shop love my ďhigh fivesĒ and because I tell it like it is. And my customer greetings are the best of any dog in The Harbor.
I know I have a lot of problems. I donít complain about them. Iím old. I have tons of allergies. I scratch myself all the time. I have bad arthritis. I have gunky eyes and I always have to poop twice. My ears itch. Oh, and Iím deaf. And blind - Iím almost blind. But I didnít deserve to be abandoned at the cabin that terrible day.
All us dogs get left in the cars all the time. And they will leave me in the cabin with the sliding glass door open a little bit so I can get out to pee and poop when I need to. Iíve been left in the shop twice for over an hour by myself. And one time they left me on a trail (Editorís Note: He wasnít abandoned. He fell behind us and took a wrong turn. It took me over a half hour to find him - just plodding down some side trail). Iím OK with all of that because I always knew they would be back.
This was the first time I didnít think they were coming back.
On that terrible day I was abandoned for real. I was sleeping under the kitchen table at the cabin. Iíve been doing that for a while because I canít see very well. I have ďcataractsĒ and eye gunk. I feel safer when Iím under the kitchen table. Itís like I have walls around me and Auggie canít steal my treats from me. Itís my Safe Cave. I can hear when itís dinnertime or when weíre getting treats. As long as Iím awake I can hear them for important things. Iím almost never awake, though.
That terrible day they were moving things out of the Southport cabin. Food, clothes, boats, and other stuff. Don ďdrained the pipesĒ whatever that means. And Liana was cleaning like crazy. Max and Auggie were running around the house all excited. I just sat in my Safe Cave and had a nap. I didnít want to nap, but when youíre as old as I am, sometimes naps happen whether you want them to or not.
When I woke up, it was cold and dark and quiet. Usually when they leave, they put the radio, a light, and a heater on for me. I sat in my Safe Cave and watched for a long time. The sun went down. The refrigerator wasnít humming and rattling like it should. I could hear the wind blowing leaves all over the deck outside and pine needles hitting the roof. The spiders were spinning their webs and the earth was spinning around the sun. I was cold.
I went to the sliding glass door and looked out. Usually they leave the door open enough so I can get out to pee and poop. It was closed. I didnít have to pee or poop, but it was very dark. What would I do if I had to pee and poop? That made me scared. I couldnít see anyone. I couldnít see the cars. It was very very dark and the leaves were blowing around everywhere and I was very scared.
They didnít like me anymore. They abandoned me. They took my food bowl. They took my water bowl. They hated me. They abandoned me. I understood. I felt so bad that I let them down. They were all my friends. I wanted to say I was sorry and I would never do whatever I did again, but they were all gone. They left me at the cabin until spring. I would most certainly die.
If this was the place I was going to die, I was going to go out in style - on the Forbidden Couch. It was hard to get up on. It was super comfy and I wish I was allowed up on it always. After I was abandoned, I figured I was allowed up on it. It was so nice!
It was so comfy I fell asleep.
When I woke up, Don was rubbing my head and saying things softly. Max and Auggie were running around getting toys out of the bin. Liana was covering her mouth and laughing.
They got me out of the cabin and into the car. Then we went to the Barrel House downtown. Did you know they named it ďBuddyís Barrel HouseĒ after me? They lifted me up the stairs to the second floor and we all had dinner. I think Don gave me more kibble than usual. Then all us dogs had our medicines and we climbed up on the couch to watch a movie and Liana gave my head super-long rubbies and there were snacks during some of the commercials.
In the morning I was still on the couch and it was warm.
Thanks for reading this far!
- Big Buddy
Max & Aug's Posts
- The Ocean & The Sky - by Big Buddy
- Zuckerstruck - by Auggie
- The Yarkowling - by Teddy Spaghetti
- Hair of the 5 Dogs That Bit Me - by Don
- Don Sure Is Getting Old and Fat - by Max
- A Little Kelp and My Friends - by Buddy
- Vetting the Vets - by Auggie
- Everything Is Stupid - by Teddy
- Small Head Ted - by Don
- Driving Miss Donny Insane - by Max
- Pee Pee Blues - by Buddy
- Odyssey - by Auggie
- Pup Fiction - by Don
- Gail's House - by Max
- Painful Things - by Big Buddy
- J'Accuse - by Auggie
- Insane Pownal Coyote Posse - by Don
- Teddy Ballgame - by Max
- Man's Best Friend - by Big Buddy
- Ask Augustus - by Auggie
- The Family Budster - by Don
- Chess King on the Hot Dog Boat - by Max
- Abandoned - by Big Buddy
- SEALs at the Gates of Don - by Auggie
- Let Loose the Dogs of War - by Don
- Bad Days to Be a Black Hot Dog - by Max
- Two Poops Galoot - by Big Buddy
- The Mongrel Scour 2018 - by Auggie
- Love Letters to the Edge - by Don
- The Peculiar Rules of People - by Max
- Buddy On The Move - By Big Buddy
- Separation Angst - by Auggie
- Salty to the Bone - Auggie - The Salad Days - by Don
- Christmas Presence - by Max
- How to Get Don Up for Breakfast - by Big Buddy
- A Spike in Kamikaze Attacks - by Auggie
- Salty to the Bone - Max: Volume III - by Don
- Land of the Free and Home of the Dog - by Max
- Big Dumb People - by Big Buddy Dog
- Poop Rules - by Auggie
- Salty to the Bone - Max: Volume II - by Don
- A From-Away Rube to a Boothbay Region Ruby - by Auggie
- The Greatest Day -- by Max
- Happy Things and Sad Things - By Buddy
- Salty to the Bone - Max: Volume I - by Don
- 2016 Sucked -- by Auggie
- Daylight Enslaving Time -- by Max
- Beastie Creatures -- by Big Buddy
- 9 Questions not to ask Don or Dog -- by Auggie
- How To Get More Food If You Love Food - by Max
- Coal - by Don
- Hardly Working Dogs - by Buddy
- 17 Messes in May - by Coal
- Supreme Fetch Dog Throughout All The Land -- by Auggie
- Buddy Power! - By Buddy
- Always a Head-Rub for a Good Dog - By Max
- Pucker Up, Dead Noses - by Auggie
- Fat Dog Food No More - by Coal
- Keys to the Kitchen of my Heart - by Buddy
- Rotten Apples but Good Boys -- By Max
- Fashion Shows and Mashed Potatoes -- By Auggie
- The Acorn and the Anvil -- by Coal
- Buddy the Extraordinary Gentledog -- By Buddy
- Scraps, Scrubs, Berries & Buddies -- By Max
- Blitzkrieg Birthday Manifesto -- By Auggie
- The Breakfasts and The Dogmanity -- By Coal
- High-Fivin' The Night Away -- by Buddy
- Fare Thee Well, Winter -- by Max
- Wonder Not, Gentle Suburbanite -- By Auggie
- The BIG ONE -- by Max
- Coal in Your Stocking -- By Coal
- Auggie's Reign Deer of Terror -- by Auggie
- Three Men Night -- by Max
- The Buddy of My Buddy is Coal's Friend -- By Coal
- Break Away From Being "From Away" Volume I -- By Auggie
- Jeepers Creepers-- Leaf Peepers! -- By Max
- Fall Down, Clean-Up -- By Auggie
- Berry Friendly -- By Max
- Coal's Birthday - By Coal
- Mutt Scrub 2014- - By Auggie
- Max's Birthday / New Website! - By Max
- Coalís Zombie Class 2013 - By Coal
- HarborFest 2013 - By Max
- Boothbay Harbor Mutt Scrub 2013 - By Auggie
- Max's Birthday 2013 - By Max
- Fisherman's Festival 2013 - By Auggie
- Boothbay Region Land Trust Trails - By Coal
- Walk for the Animals 2013 - By Max
- I am Coal. Hear Me Bark! - By Coal
- Deb's Used Tennis Balls - By Auggie
- Max Loves Food - By Max
- It's Not a K9 Crooked House, It's a K9 Crooked Home - By Max & Auggie